Natural Mood Enhancers
Feeling good is all about chemistry. Studies show that taking specific nutrients can enhance mood. The benefits of these suggestions below will likely be greater when you combine them with a good diet, a bit of exercise and more time in the sun (see Vitamin D, below):
- Vitamin B-12 & L-Tyrosine (taken together) – The amino acid L-tyrosine is a building block of neurotransmitters like norepinephrine, which contributes to positive moods. This effect if amplified with the addition of B-12 helps create neurotransmitters that influence your mood and sleep.
- Vitamin B Complex – As a general function, B vitamins help convert protein building blocks into functional neurotransmitters; In addition, they are involved with creating usable energy from carbohydrates. Vitamins B-3 (niacin) and B-6 (pyridoxine) have the most effect on mood.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – The active components of fish oil are EPA and DHA. These fatty acids have been shown to support brain development and a positive mood. Part of this effect is accomplished by helping in the development of neurotransmitters and increasing the health of brain cell membranes, which all facilitates communication between cells.
- SAMe – This natural compound which may help produce serotonin and other neurotransmitters. It also helps neurotransmitters work better, leading to healthier moods.
- Vitamin D – New research shows that low levels of vitamin D may play a role in mood health, especially during the shorter days of fall and winter. Not to mention that Vitamin D is also essential for proper immune function.